This Week I...

16 July 2011


  • focused upon staying hydrated--I pour my 64 oz of water into a big pitcher and drink it down through the day
  • baked baguettes and my new favorite Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal loaves
  • noted Gertie's new online sewing class with great interest; while the bustier bodice is not something I see myself wearing (I prefer loose-fitting tops), the light couture techniques she teaches look immensely valuable and that these techniques are taught in one place, convenient.
  • nourished my ever-growing hair with a gross but effective avocado mask (note: link opens a video) and finally trimmed my ends. Also, I noticed another grey hair!
  • perused the minutes of the Philanthropic Society available through University Archives; topics under debate in the 1860s include "Who influences society more, man or woman?" "Will the North and South ever be reconciled over the issue of slavery?" "What has the greater influence over man, wine or women?" and "Is it ever moral for the Confederate army to fight on the offensive?"
  • am listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station's Paper Airplane--my favorite song is "My Love Follows You Where You Go"
  • nabbed a 20% off coupon for filling out the Colette Patterns survey (now closed), and I have my eye set on the Macaron
  • continued weeding in preparation for my move
  • continued my interminable thesis research; I finally set a schedule for finishing it, which is helping me to keep moving and not get bogged down on certain parts
And I have enjoyed these posts from around the Web:
  • Have you seen this project, Her Five Year Diary: a day-by-day transcription of one woman's life from 1961 through 1965? It's new to me, but I am going to start from the beginning and catch up. You can find out more about it here.
  • Gertie continues the discussion of sewing muslins (started on BurdaStyle here) and, as usual, inspires a variety of opinions. I, for one, almost always sew muslins (mock-ups) since I tend to draft my own patterns, and they do allow me to practice new techniques with little fear. I don't, however, usually use actual muslin but instead get cheap cuts of fabric from thrift stores (ugly prints or those with polyester in them, out of which I wouldn't make actual clothes)
  • I found a wonderful sewing blog, Frabjous Couture (who posted the original muslins post on BurdaStyle)
  • I loved Kathryn's simile, "like when a comedian's last joke falls to crickets." And look at this bovine invasion!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I've been staying hydrated this week too! Well, yesterday and today were not my finest, but the other days were pretty darn good if I do say so myself. :) The pitcher idea is brilliant!
And thanks about the simile--hehe, I was pretty happy with that one. :)
This was a really, really good post! Not like that's rare on this blog, though--every one of your post is brilliantly organized and well-written. You're so talented!

Valerie said...

good for you, Kathryn. And thank you for the compliment--made me smile :)